Tahini Cookies with Pistachio, Dark Chocolate Chunks, & Black Sesame
Tahini has found its place in the dessert world. And these tahini cookies make no exception.
Found mainly in savory dishes of Middle Eastern origin, tahini comes from toasted and ground
sesame seeds. Do you love traditional hummus? Well, there’s tahini in that.
Why add tahini to a dessert? The same reason we love chocolate and peanut butter! The saltiness complements the sweetness in cookies quite well and gives it a more complex flavor. Our tahini cookies recipe, adapted from Danielle Oron, adds chopped pistachio and black sesame seeds on top for a little crunch.
Keep in mind that tahini has a very high oil content, so refrigerating your cookies is an absolute must. Some cookies recipes you can skip this step; however with these tahini cookies, you want as much refrigeration time as possible. One hour is the bare minimum amount of time. 12 hours? That’s the sweet spot. Make the dough the night before you want to bake them for maximum flavor immersion and consistency.
We know that not everyone has that kind of time, though, so if you’re in a time crunch, one hour does the trick.
Using a spring release scoop to make the cookies creates uniformity in the size. Plus it’s so much easier than trying to eyeball the right amount each time. Simply scoop and release right onto the baking sheet, no rolling in your hands necessary. If only everything in life could be as easy as making tahini cookies.
RSVP/ENDURANCE® PRODUCTS USED
Medium Melamine Bowls
Spring Release Scoop
Spice Measuring Spoons
Nesting Measuring Cups
Mini Flexible Spatula
Ela’s Silicone Spatula
Prep Bowls with lids
TAHINI COOKIES WITH PISTACHIO, DARK CHOCOLATE CHUNKS & BLACK SESAME
Tahini chocolate chunk cookies topped with pistachio and black sesame seeds.
Servings 36 cookies
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 Cup Tahini well stirred
- 2 Cups Granulated sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg yolks
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2-1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2-1/2 Cups Dark chocolate chunks
- 1 Cup Pistachios shelled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Black sesame seeds
- In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter, tahini, and sugar for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Cream an additional 5 minutes on medium speed.
- In separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add flour mixture to butter mixture at low speed until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat. Use cookie scoop to form dough into balls.
- Place cookies 3 inches apart to allow spread. Top with pistachio and black sesame seed. Press the pistachio and black sesame into the top of the cookie. Bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown along the edges. Let cool for 20 minutes on cooling rack.